Friday, September 18, 2009

BART - Down Town SF and Welcome to the Polamor Hotel


Somethings changed and i have a feeling its me!! It seems ive gone soft.. Country living will do that to you. How do I know ive gone soft? A 30 min ride on the BART - Bay Area Rapid Transit was all i needed and suddenly i wanted to be back safe and sound in my little town of placerville, were people say hello to you in the street, wave at you from thier cars and when you go shopping staff help you carry your bags to your car and want to know how your day is going.

We decided to save some money, park the truck at a train station out side the city and catch the train into the city. We save money on parking, which can cost from $14 to $50 for 24hrs, and we save on gas. As soon as we were on the platform waiting I start to feel uncomfortable. Aaron goes back to the ticket station to ask a question and I stay on the platform with our cases.. Right away I notice a undesireable person, weldressed but he was starting to invade my personal space. Aaron comes back and he walks away mumbleing... The platfrom fills up with an eclectic array of people. No different from London, but its been over a year and Ive only been surrounded by middle class white folk..

In London I was used to being on guard and had a 6th sence, street wise I suppose. Now days my guard is down and it was strange having to put it back up again..

We got on our train and got a seat. the train wasnt that full.. Until we had to change and got closer into the city.. We walked across the platform in a crowd of people and no seats.. Its ok we stand and its like a typical underground train in London.. We have people talking to loudly. Young lads on thier mobiles taking pictures of everyone. A drunk wondering up and down the train, and a bunch of youths walking the train intimiadating.. Id have taken a picture if I thought I might not be asking to be mugged..
We made it and happly left the crowded carrage, followed the crowed and and emgerged to the cool night San Francisco air.


We only had to walk 2 blocks to our hotel. Hotel Palomar our Haven from the city. All the smells hit me at once it was just like being in Leicester Sq in London. The sent of homeless people, urine, booze and cigarettes. It hit me like a wall.. Ugh! I hadnt had these sensations for a while and I didnt miss them at all.

Our Hotel was modern and welcoming the room spacious and comfy.. yes!! This is our room.. its exaclty the same as the one we are in but we are on the 7th foor so the view is different.

Once we settled in we went for dinner and a beer, Aaron took me to Lefty O Douls a Irish Pub/Piano lounge there was a guy singing on the piano behind the photographer and to the left you can see the carvery type deal.. Well its basicly like school dinners.. I liked but its not top quailty, i had beef, mash and stuffing. Nice atmosphere, I heard welsh accents and it was nice and low key.

After dinner we went for a walk, hurried past all the homeless.. and then headed back to the Hotel.. Its late now and im due a shower and bed... ZZzzzzzz nightX

No comments: