Thursday, July 28, 2011

Proctoring and GM

This week I have been staying in Sacramento. I have been Proctoring for the Bar Exam.  The bar exam is taken twice a year once in July and then again in February.  They hire in people to monitor those taking exams, I am being paid good money to sit in a hotel room and stare at someone for around 7hrs a day. I sit in a big arm chair with a few pillows to prop me up and then drift off into my own little world.  There area  few more things I have to do, like time the examinee and hand out the exam materials and read the exam guidelines.  A bunch of paper work but for the most part its just sitting. Most will take their exam in a hall. The students with us at the hotel as they have special requirements, all different ranging from being pregnant and diabetes to mobility issues. 

As I said I am staying  in Sacramento at Grandma's as GM lives round the corner from the hotel.   I have had a really nice time at GMs. To be honest I was nervous at first, I have only ever spent time with GM at gatherings and not had the chance to really spend time with GM.  GM is very sweet so I have no reason to be nervious, I think I was afraid I wouldn't be liked!  But anyway, I needn't have been, I have been thoroughly spoilt and looked after by GM. Every morning there is hot water ready for my tea, bread waiting for me to put into the toasters and fruit in a bowl waiting at the breakfast table.  GM has aslo been supplying me with packed lunches and yummy dinners.  We have had some lovely evenings together getting to know each other better. I am very fortunate to have such a loving family.



The down side to being in Sac is that I have been away from Aaron for 4 days now. It has been very hard. I almost packed it in yesterday, reasoning that the money wasn't worth being apart from each other.  But I got myself together and we managed to work things out so that Aaron will be with me tomorrow (Friday) I am so excited to see him.  I dont think I will do this again.  I do not like be apart, I feel incomplete with out him. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tell you Emily, you may be sitting back at the Hilton relaxing, but you have missed out on some interesting stuff down at the Convention Center!

The guy with Tourette's Syndrome.

The guy wearing the man skirt. He was in my group in February. I asked him where one buys a man skirt. The Gap. His summer version is shorter!

The guy with the man bun.

The guy barfing his guts out in the bathroom.

The guy that ran up and pounded on the wall, trying to get the Christian rock group to shut up.

Hmm, why all guys?

It has been very interesting, to say the least. And we got pizza! I just love doing this, I am such a people watcher, and to get paid to watch people? A win win.

I am putting this as anonymous, but it is from me, JS.

Anonymous said...

Awe, you love your sweetie. I totally understand not wanting to be with out him. But its great that you have such a loving GM! Enjoy. I hope you take a honeymoon together after all your hard work.
Love
Tiffy