Thursday, November 17, 2011

Say hello to my little friend


About a month ago Aaron sat me down and asked me to watch a Documentary called Fat, sick and nearly dead. He said he wanted us to use the principles in the documentary to establish  healthy eating habits and gain over all better health.  I was thrilled he had made the decision but a little cautious about the contents of the Documentary.  What would we be attempting next.. Freeze dried astronaut food?  Eating according to color?  The list is endless when on the topic of newest eating fads.

Fortunately the documentary was far more grounded. The basic principles were ones we all know, lots of greens, eat the color of the rainbow when it comes to veg. Meat and dairy limited.   Processed foods and sugar non existent. 

That was something we had been working on for a while but making SLOW progress. The documentary follows a Australian business man who is 309lbs  sick, slow, sluggish and tired of feeling that way.  He decided to juice his way across America. His idea is, if his body can heal a cut on the outside that ff he gives it enough of the good stuff it needs he should be able to heal on the inside too.  He does 2 months of just juicing, no solid foods at all.  His juices consist of 80% veg and 20% fruit.  The end result his illness goes away, he comes off his meds. He loses 60lbs, has far more energy and breaks his old habits and relationships with food.  ( see the documentary on netflix)

Back to us. We wanted to do the fast for 60 days, but we have a 2 week road trip coming and felt that we would be setting ourselves up to fail if we tried to only juice while on the road. We decided that we would substitute 2 meals a day with juicing for now. Then when we come back we would do the fast for 60 days. 

Our Breville arrived  yesterday. So I went and brought ingredients for dinner tonight, breakfast and lunch tomorrow. We would have dinner at Aarons parents. Mum always cooks a healthy dinner. 

Tonights dinner was a green juice. 

Ingredients:
1 green apple
1-2 cups of spinach
3-4 leaves of swiss chard
½ a cucumber
2 sticks of celery
¼ fennel bulb
1 bunch of basil


It was horrible.. To much fennel. It was dark green in color and both Aaron and I had to chug it while holding our nose. It would have been bearable without the fennel. 

The juicer creates such a mess. No one on the forum has mentioned the mess from the machine. It wasn’t as bad as cleaning up after dinner but the pulp got everywhere in the machine.  It was a veggie massacre. However I feel good, my head feels clear but I am craving steak and fries big time.  I only made half the juice as at the moment I am playing around with amounts and cost of produce.  I am glad I didn’t make that much. I gagged after the last mouthful and nearly threw up.   So lesson is make a small amount first and if it works repeat.  I  am looking forward to my journey of juicing but will have to fight the cravings for solid food.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I have serious juicer envy! You got a Breville! You might want to read the instructions again, it really is supposed to be mess free, and you can put a bag in to catch the pulp.
Try mostly fruit, the more you get used to it the more veggies you can try. You will get where the veggie proportions get easier. I like this combo: carrots, apples, ginger, celery and something green, like kale. The ginger makes it so delicious.
That is an awesome video, amazing the health problems that juicing cleared up. Keep us posted!