Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Diabetes Type II



I made a OBGYN appointment last month due to female health issues im having. Blood works were ordered and there it was in black and white, my blood sugars have been running high for at least 3 months. Most peoples run 80-100, mine have been 200-300.

Its funny how getting ill effects you emotionally. I was in a little denial at first, hoping the high blood sugar was related to my Thyroid being off, but more tests showed even my thyroid was off which Im taking meds for it, it wasn’t off enough to make my sugars as high as they are. Then I went through a period of anger and why me. Anger because I had let this happen. That it was a direct result of me being overweight, which is a direct result of my eating disorder which is a symptom of a childhood trauma. I will be paying for my past until the new system, this makes me very angry. But I have the power to change and I WILL CONTROL this. This will not control me. Why me, because I am trying so hard to educate my self and im making changes, I eat better and healthier than a lot of people I know and Im the one that gets sick. I still get overwhelmed and break down in tears.

There is a sliver lining to every cloud as they say. I have now fast tracked my eating habits and life style changes. This is no longer I will plan, but is a “I am doing.”
It is not easy. I have found that I can live with less sugar. After all we all know that we shouldn’t be eating those things. But the carbs, that’s harder, I had already switched to whole wheat and whole grains. But as my body can no longer deal with carbs very well. I can have very little bread, potatoes which includes fries, rice, pasta, and anything white and processed. Of course it goes with out saying no baked goods, or sweets. Even vegetables and salad have carbs. So I have to count and weight everything I eat now. I am on tablets that help lower my blood sugar and today it got so low I nearly passed out. That’s the difficulty. My body is used to running at a low of 200 and its goes up and down from there through the day. Now with the meds after eating which is supposed to be the highest it gets, mine registered at 179. Which is good for most people but for me it was a huge drop. I felt I just needed to sleep, I came home and could barley focus on the road while driving. I called the doctor as I didn’t know what to do. It was good that I was low but I was feeling lousy. She told me that I should treat it as low blood sugar, because for me it was, I needed sugar asap and I have none in the house. I had an orange but that only made a 2 point increase. So I grabbed a spoon and sunk it into my jar of Nutella. After a few minutes I could feel the sugar coursing through my veins. My headache that I had all day had finally gone and I rested.

My doctor told me that we are aiming to lower my sugars gradually and that I have to carry apple juice, hard candy, and other things to increase my blood sugar if needed.
I feel so frustrated. I have avoided carbs and sweets for almost a month now, trying to keep my blood sugar low and now Im being asked to introduce some of those things back into my diet. Apparently the mediation hasn’t even taken its full effect. I will be increasing my dose next week and then it wont be fully into my system for a few weeks yet. Im confused if only after a few days its already had this effect on me, whats going to happen when its really working. What am I going to have to eat to keep me from going into a diabetic coma!!!.. LOTS OF CHOCOLATE Hahaha…Kidding. If you have any experience with this or have advice please leave a comment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so sorry to hear em, new battles ahead, i'm sure it will take some time to get your head around it completely but you can only do your best!! lots of love to you both from us, it's good to know w
hat's going on with you, love you lots , milkaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx