Wednesday, March 2, 2011

THE RUNNER INSIDE




The last time I ran was in October 2010. After my injury , my vacation to London, winter and then we moved house. I just never found the time. Nevertheless the good news is that I have been able to continue losing weight. The bad news I was diagnosed with type II Diabetes this month. See Diabetes Type II blog.
Since the weather is getting better and I need to start exercising again for health reasons. I have been thinking about what I should do. Im a big believer in doing something that you enjoy or you wont keep it up. If you are a regular reader of my blog you might recal that I had been told by a few people after my injury that I shouldn’t be running. It really knocked me down mentally and my confidence took a huge blow. I wasn’t sprinting or running long distances, If you want to be technical I was jogging and walking. My jogging wasn’t even very fast. I loved it, it made me feel good on so many levels. The movement, the self discipline that was needed the mental strength I had to develop. Feeling my body getting stronger. Being outside. I just cant describe how good it feels. Yet I was told by fitness experts and medical. I AM TO HEAVY TO RUN!
Last Sunday Aaron and I decided to visit REI, it’s a shop that specializes in Recreational Equipment from running, camping, cycling, snowboarding, rock climbing to hiking. It looked to me more for the hard core recreational people. Simon Hamilton you would have been in heaven in this store. So we played with the sleeping bags, and footwear. Looking around I felt a familiar feeling rising within me. It was like a fire little sparks at first then a raging inferno. This is what I wanted to do. I want to ski, snowboard, climb, run, hike, I want to challenge my body I love the feeling of pushing myself physically. I missed that feeling and I ached inside. This is the me I’m supposed to be instead of watching from the side lines I’m meant to be doing it. I needed to be inspired, I walked over to the book section and picked up a book on running. Opened the book and read this paragraph.
“Deep down the most important reason to be a runner is very simple - you want to be one. Always remember your body knows how to run. The runner you become starts with your intention. Weather you are running alone or with friends, for the thrill of competition or to feel good about yourself, it all starts within you. Hold on to the image of your self as a runner, remind yourself you are as much a runner as anyone else on this planet. With this in mind it wont be long until you believe it. Experienced runners will tell you that even though running seems like a purely physical endeavor, it relies on a firm psychological foundation of enthusiasm, commitment and experience. In other words if you get your mind running your feet will follow. I read this with tears streaming down my face. I had permission to run again. I wanted to run again and I would run again. The book “Runners world best, getting started” is written by Adam Bean and the Editors of Runners world Magazine.
The book also went on to dismiss myths about running. Such as…..

Running is bad for you knees.
The knee joint has been fine-tuned to with stand running. Running not walking is the most natural form of movement. Running can actually strengthen joints by toning the body in multiple ways.

Only thin people should run.
People of all body types run regularly and even start and finish races of all lengths. You don’t have to have the perfect body to begin a running program. Start running and your inner athlete will start to show, regardless of large, small, thin or stout you are. Running can reshape not only your body but your life as well.

You need lots of stamina to run.
Running builds stamina and you begin and train wisely - increasing the amount of time and run slowly and taking enough rest days - you will have the endurance you need to run.

Joggers arent real runners.
If you take only one thing from this book let it be this: All runners walk and all runners jog (that is run slowly) Take to heart that you and world Olympic marathon runners the world over walk and run slowly from time to time because it is the right thing at a given point in their training. As an athlete, you can and should work out the best possible way for increased stamina and achievement: running as well as walking and jogging are all aspects if your workout, and none should carry a stigma of weakness or non athleticism.

I have a plan, Im going to start running again. Watch space people because Im Back!

No comments: