Monday, March 7, 2011

A diet thats wise and a bit of dedilee dum!


So my challenge is finding food, both snacks and dinners that i like. I want to be a raw veggie, nut chomping, smoothie drinking health nut, but ugh I am ashamed to say those healthful flavors just turn my stomach. Why am I ashamed to say it? because we, as a society for the most part are not used to such flavors and our taste buds shudder at those natural plants that come from the ground. They have no processed sugar, corn starch, high fructose corn syrup or E numbers. As much as some of us as are disgusted by it, our bodies are used to it, and oh they taste so good.

Can we re program years of eating?

Can our taste buds adjust to foods that are good for you but you gag at the thought of?

Is it mind over matter?

You see I'm finding that its just not working to try and have little of this and little of that, my blood sugar hits the roof. I'm still wanting the old foods. I still cannot envision a meal with out potatoes or rice. I cannot see breakfast with out bread.

I know I should be eating cottage cheese and carrot sticks but to me cottage cheese has the consistency of vomit, and that's just what I want to do when i think of dipping some rock hard orange stick into it. That is the crux of my issues, texture. Even as a little kid at school I would cut all my food into little pieces and then mix it up so it was mushy. I still do it occasionally. I do not like slimy, lumpy or crunchy foods. Of course the old joke is that the English boil everything to much, and, as much as I hate to admit it we didn't have crunchy veg as kids. We boiled all the veg. I steam now as opposed to boil but I steam the hell out of them. Even at restaurants when ordering veg I have to stipulate that I would like them cooked just a little longer.

So any reading suggestions, any ideas how I can become the lean green eating machine I so long to be??

You are what you eat right. I'm fed up of being doughy.

3 comments:

Charlean said...

I know this is all very hard for you... I love raw veggies, and crunchy foods, but you're right about the cottage cheese... it's disgusting... you can always try blending it up to get rid of the lumps.. but the taste is the same, yugh, and it then comes into the slimy consistancy... I know it's hard to change your way of eating, I've been doing it for 7 months... and yes life does go on.. but it's just not as much fun.. ha ha... I had to give up pasta... mostly because I can't seem to just eat a little... I think I dream of pasta.. well keep up trying to be good, and know that you don't suffer alone.... ha ha... XXXOOO

Myra 米兰 said...

Who says you have to eat cottage cheese? :) I think thats a myth- eating cottage cheese to lose weight. Bleh! Drink lots of water, eat lots of fiber and steam your veggies and Mrs. Dash for flavor if you don't like them plain...do you like Tuna fish? A nice toasted tuna sandwhich on whole wheat with some spinach leaves is good. I am using handfuls of spinach and throwing into everything. Its great! Snacks: I like hummus with whole wheat crackers, fruit salad (its good sugars)...I was also reading online about healthy eating for diabetes. Have you looked into Glucerna shakes and such? Just some ideas.... This reminds me I need to be healthier too!

Jessica said...

I am still trying to live by "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." That quote is by Michael Pollan, (spelling?). His book In Defense of Food and The China Study (author different) made me totally rethink food. They have no recipes, no eating lists, just cold hard facts about the Western diet and all the awful diseases we are giving ourselves. The China Study was the first and only book about food that made me cry! Why is this act of grabbing healthy food and just putting it into our mouths and getting on with our day so crazy hard? By the way, I loved your quotes on running, thanks for the encouragement.