Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Embracing simplicity





Like most I yearn for simpler times.  Like the simple pleasure of being able to concentrate on one task at time.  Many people think that simplicity means living without.  But what it truly means is taking stock of ones life and letting gratitude begin to transform it.  We appreciate how much we have and realize what is really important.  We feel the urge to get back to basics and learn what is needed for our happiness.  Do we need to work over time to buy that new kitchen or spend that time  with your husband, children or your self.  Perhaps we can concentrate on the home and finish that project you started, paint that wall, hang those pictures, add some color.

I believe that to be happy and fulfilled as a woman you have to be domestically calm.  When ever I am overwhelmed by outside circumstances, worry monies, personal stress, sick family. Instinctively I turn to my home and the rituals I have there.  There is a emotional and psychological payoff to getting our homes in order.   We may not be able to control external forces but we can look at our own resources for a sense of comfort and control.  There is a direct link between the days I feel down and when my house is in chaos.  “ its not the tragedies that kill us it’s the messes” observed Dorothy Parker.

No one can think clearly when they are surrounded by clutter, chaos and confusion.  No matter who is responsible for it.  Do not think of order as a chore or must do but as the foundation to your new creative life.  It might start with simply putting things away that you have taken out or teaching this to the ones you live with that they must do this for the common good of all.


Harmony is the feeling we have when we balance the expectations our families and responsibilities In the world with our inner need for  spiritual growth and personal expression.  This is one of the biggest challenges we face because it involves making choices everyday.  Usually when the distractions of daily life deplete our energies the first thing we eliminate is the thing we need the most: quiet, reflective time. Time to dream, time to think, time to contemplate what’s working and what is not so that we can make changes for the better.

Recently I had an euphony regarding time and the importance of this in my life.  I had the opportunity to work for the state Bar exam as a proctor last year.  For a week I worked at a hotel. The examination board  hired out 2 floors for students that had special requirements. I was paid to sit from 3-6hours in  hotel room watching someone take an exam. We were not permitted to read, or have any electrical devices with us.  It was just me, myself and I for hours at a time.  It had been so long since I had permitted my self time to just be, to think, to contemplate with out having to be somewhere or watching the clock because I had things I had to do.  That week sitting in that hotel was up there with one of the best vacations I had ever had.  I felt mentally refreshed, inspired and in touch with myself again.  I was drawing, writing and with all the distractions gone there was room in my head for the things I loved again. There was room for me.

Today just try slowing down.  Listen to music that soothes or inspires and uplifts the soul.

No comments: