Monday, February 27, 2012

creative letter writing 3 - A message in a bottle.





I have scoured the internet for ideas on how to get more creative with my letter writing.  I found a few sites that send messages in a bottle.  They told me I would have to buy the bottle from them as it was officially approved by the post office, prices ranged from $40 to $5. But none captured what I wanted to say and the look I wanted to create. So lets do it ourselves.

You will need :

Bottle
paper
stickers ( to decorate)
glue
cork


I did a little research and went to the post office. They told me that as long as its not glass they will accept it. I had to have a place for the address and their labels.  Off I went to hunt for the perfect bottle.


I found one in Raleys. It was a sparkling mint water called metromint, it had a longish neck when the lid was off and was thin and tall which was the look I was going for. As close to a wine bottle as I could get.  The drink was around $3. I didnt like the drink so I poured it out and took the wrapper off. This was a little difficult, the silver wrapper on the outside was a pain to get off. In fact it didn't all come off so I decided to use travel stickers to embellish my bottle and it ended up looking really good, a little beat up just like it had been at sea.  ( forgot to take a pic of the original)  The other great thing about this bottle is that a cork fits securely in the neck. Perfect.

I rolled my letter real thin.  Make sure the paper is the right size first. then insert.


The bottle only cost a little over $2 to send in the post as its very light weight.   The postal workers loved it and commented that they get baby shower invites all the time through the post office, invites in actual baby bottles.


Super easy, cheap and you get to decorate it to your taste.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

It's amazing what you can send with postage on it. I saw a party idea for a Hawaiian Luau. The invitation was written on a flip flop and with the correct postage it could be mailed unwrapped. Very cute idea.

By the way, think of us poor souls proctoring the Bar Exam over in the freezing cold buildings at Cal Expo. I know where you are, you are at the hotel site, where there is heat and carpeted floors and no cow smells. :) Send hand sanitizor and foot massagers! This is going to some week. Ugh.

knitterbeal said...

Next time I'll drink the water and give you the bottle. I love that stuff!