Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Composting.



The older I get the more interested I am in sustainability. Plus I have a great friend who has green fingers and is a great educator on all things  healthy, green and garden related.

We have been juicing for a month now. Yey us.  One thing I have had a conscience over is all the pulp we throw out. I am not the much of a kitchen goddess were I will collect it freeze and makes soups etc.  Not yet!  But if anyone wants it let me know.

I have decided to compost as I would like a garden this year.  I have decided that the containers I had were not working very well. They were ugly, I couldn't make the pretty and as I am a visual artist this effected my whole attitude toward garden last year which coincided with a bout of depression. A tragic combination. Ugly things and no motivation.

I read a little on composting, lined the bottom with twigs, pine needles leaves and then soil from my old containers.  Then added all the veg, pulp.  I still have to drill some air vent holes to let it all breath, and then turn it once in a while.  I know I have to watch the moisture content too.

I have my gardener friend Sarah Beal who I'm sure will be my compost guardian. 

Any tips, advice please dont hold back..

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Been juicing too! And all that pulp either goes into homemade dog food or our compost pile. Last year our compost made the squash go nuts and grow well into the winter.
Tips? Don't ask us, we don't do it right, but it still comes out well. Not exactly the "black gold" soil that Martha Stewart makes, but it works for us.
What I would love to do is worm composting, but it gets too hot here. I bet it would be great where you live. It goes way faster than regular composting. I have heard they go nuts over juice pulp.

knitterbeal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
knitterbeal said...

Hurray for putting your pulp into composting. Thanks for the props too! Our inspiring conversation on Sunday re-motivated me on my 'pile'. I turned it today only to find hundreds of worms enjoying its cozy living space -not to mention doing their job. Transferred both some worms and some ready compost to the bed I prepared for next weeks' planting session. Can't wait to reap some harvest! I've got strawberries that need thinning too. They'll be coming your way!